●Short-term Stay Visa refers to the purpose of temporary visits to Japan up to 90 days with non-paid activities.
●Nationals from countries that have visa exemption arrangements with Japan can apply for landing permission for short term stay without obtaining a visa. Please refer to the following link for more information.
★Business Meeting / Conference → Click Here
A travelers traveling to Japan for business affairs, commerce, conferences, etc for business purposes. It is not permitted to perform activities to undertake revenue generating business operation or activities to receive remuneration.
★Visiting Relatives / Acquaintances → Click Here
All travelers traveling to Japan for visiting relatives/acquaintances as a tourist, not including business or academic purposes. It is not permitted to perform activities to undertake revenue generating business operation or activities to receive remuneration.
★Holiday / Sightseeing / Transit → Click Here
All travelers traveling to Japan for tourism/sightseeing, not including business, academic or visiting relatives/acquaintances purposes. It is not permitted to perform activities to undertake revenue generating business operation or activities to receive remuneration.
All travelers who needs to stop over Japan while en route to a third country, such as passengers with overnight flight connections or passengers arriving in Japan at one airport and departing from a different airport (example Narita to Haneda or vice versa). (For passengers who transit in Japan for immediate flight connections and are not required to go through immigration clearance, a visa is not required.)
Spouse/ Child of a Japanese National, Student, Work, Professor, Dependent, Instructor, e.t.c
A foreign citizens wish to enter Japan for staying over 90 days should obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from Japan before lodging the application at the Embassy.


All categories of foreign nationals who have departed Japan and have a valid residence card and a valid re-entry permit (including "minashi" special re-entry permit) may return to Japan. 

*Noted only extended once
  • Valid Passport
  • Application Form
  • Residence Card
  • Letter of Reason
  • Visa Fee TOP$51

How to Apply and FAQ

Application Process
  • For visa applicant please read carefully and follow the visa requrements then prepare all necessary documents before submit your application.
  • Visa application must be submitted by the applicant in person or a proxy on his/her behalf. For proxy must provide a Authorisation Letter and his/her ID.
  • Please bring your application documents to our office during our visa hours. You do NOT have to make an appointment to apply.
  • The applicant may be required to submit additional documents.
  • The process time for the issuance of visas varies according to the purpose of journey. In general, it takes 5 working days to process and issue visas by the Embassy. However, applicants may be required to provide extra documents or attend an interview before their application being approved. There may also other unforeseen circumstances that delay the issuing of visas. Therefore the process can take longer.
  • In certain cases, such as working visas etc, the applicant should obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from Japan before lodging the application at the Embassy.
  • Non-residents of TONGA without a Certificate of Eligibility must apply for visas to Japan through the Japanese Embassy in their country of normal residence.
Filling out the form
  • You must answer all questions in the form and write neatly in BLOCK LETTERS.
  • Incomplete visa application forms will not be accepted.
  • False or misleading information may lead to refusal or cancellation of visa or penalties while in Japan.
  • The required photograph must be pasted or glued to the space provided on the form.
 Lodging your application
  • You must apply IN PERSON at the Embassy. (In unavoidable circumstance, the application can be represented by proxy.)
  • Applicants must be in Tonga when submitting his/her visa applications.
  • Documents submitted with the application WILL NOT be return. Please ensure that you have personal copies for your reference.
  • Additional documents may be requested by the Officer after submitting your application.
  • The visa fee in cash is payable at the time of collection of passport.
Visa Hours:       
Our visa hours are from Monday to Friday from 9:00am until 12:00noon except holiday.
Office Address:
Embassy of Japan in the Kingdom of Tonga
Level 5th, National Reserve Bank of Tonga Building
Salote Road, Nuku’alofa
Kingdom of Tonga
Telephone: (676) 22-221
Visa Fee
April 1, 2024 - March 31, 2025
●Single entry visa     51 TOP
●Multiple entry visa    102 TOP
●Transit visa             12 TOP
Visa fees are revised each year on April 1st. Visa fees are waived for certain nationalities. Visa fees must be paid for in cash. Please bring the EXACT amount. Personal checks, company checks and credit cards are NOT accepted.
Processing Time
Normally, it will take 5 working day. Applications that require enquiries to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs may take longer than the normal processing time.
Q: Do I need to make an appointment to apply for a visa?
A: We do NOT need to book for an appointment when applying for a visa. Please visit our office during opening hours (Monday – Friday, except holidays 9:00am – 12:00noon) with your visa application and the required documentation.
Q: How long will it take to issue a visa?
A: It normally takes 5 working days to issue a visa. However, it may take longer to complete the process if we require further confirmation, such as additional documentation or an interview.
Q: Since my passport with a valid Japanese visa has expired, I have obtained a new passport. Would it be possible for me to use Japanese visa which is in the expired passport to travel to Japan?
A: You can show both the new passport and the old passport with the visa at border control. Alternatively, a visa transfer service is also available at our office. Please contact to our Visa Section for further details.
Q: I lost my passport with my Japanese visa in it. What should I do?
A: You should report the loss to the Embassy/ Consulate-General of Japan where you obtained the Japanese visa immediately. Also, you are advised to report the loss to the nearest police station. If you need another visa, you will have to submit a new visa application along with the required documentation.
Q: How much extra validity do I need to have on my passport at the time of entry to Japan?
A: We do not have a specific regulation regarding this matter. However, if your passport is going to expire soon after you enter Japan, we are recommended to enter Japan on a passport which will be valid for longer than your planned period of stay.